Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Airport

My memory suddenly takes me back to Bali airport long long time ago. Indeed, I have a deep scratch in my memory about that airport. A memory back to the time when I was very little, even just before my brother was born.

Lili was my favorite aunty. She always accompanied me to play at home. I really liked her. She’s very pretty. She used to give me chocolates, cheese, toys, and other knick knack. She used to visit our family in OZ. So when she left, I felt like losing my good friend to play with, even I still remember how sad I was when she was not around. That’s why I used to be extremely excited to wait for her in the airport when she got back.

Once, she was going to go to OZ again, my dad, mum, and I went to the airport together with her to wish her a safe trip. At that time, Bali airport had public access, not exclusively for the one who had a ticket. So, we can get in to the second floor and sat down on the terrace. From there, I can see my aunty walking toward the plane. I screamed out loud calling her name. She saw me and gave me a good bye gesture, I replied it excitedly. When her plane took off, I was still screaming “good bye aunty…good bye aunty…”

Then it became like a regular activity to me, to ask my dad to go to the airport just to see the plane taking off, and as usual, I still screamed “good bye aunty… good bye aunty…” eventhough that was not her plane. Sounds silly, but that’s the feeling of the little me missing her.

Since then, I really loved to watch planes. I even remembered how I cried in private hearing the plane accident in the airport. I remember my dad and I went to the location to see the poor plane.

Couple years later, my aunty moved permanently to OZ. So, I really hoped that one day, my family can fly there together to visit her. But then we never made it, as she already passed away***

take off

The beginning of 2004, it was my first time to fly to OZ as I got a grant to pursue my study there. My dad, mum, and brother took me to the airport, to wish me a good safe trip. Well, that was my last time I saw my dad, inside the international departure section. That was my last memory seeing him alive***

Recently I flew pretty often. There’s always an excitement being in different airports, expecting what the new life adventure will be outside the airport. Yeap… looking forward to new adventures from inside the airport, but also reminding me backward to the time I was in the airport for the person I love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i had a similar experience with my late uncle. and he was my favorite. i couldn't forget his expression, his look, when he waved at me at the airport as i left to taiwan for the first time. and he passed away a few months later. that was his nicest smile..