Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Vegemite, from yucksss to yummm

It's a typical Aussie breakfast: toast and vegemite spread. Vegemite is made off concentrated yeast extract and very rich in vitamin B.

First time I dealt with vegemite was during breakfast in Orpheus Island Research Station. I saw my Australian friends put vegemite very thick on their bread. I sniffed this dark brown paste. It smelled very sharp. Yet, I tried to put some on my bread. That time I completely couldn't take it. First time I had, it tasted weird in my tongue... salty and smelly... My mistake I guess, I put it too much on my bread. As a result, I just said no more vegemite to my self.

But then, I used to go to the church to help distributing bread for the orphanage. We're allowed to take some home for ourselves. Once, I tried a peanut bunch.
I didn’t know if the filling was a mix of peanut butter and vegemite, until the lady there told me about it... not bad I thought. Then I encouraged my self to buy vegemite, and tried this way: put it thinly on my toastand mixed it with some fruit marmalade. Well, I can take it! Amazingly, I didn't know how my tongue can adjust gradually with this taste until I can put more vegemite and less fruit jam. Eventually, I can spread merely vegemite on my bread.

I remember one of my OZ friend said to me: "wow, that's very thick! I guess you've been australianised"...heheh...Well, I guess, I've been addicted to it. Now, I always have vegemite on my bread.

I would introduce and recommend this to my friends. Mum and my brother still can't take it. I've explained them that it’s one of nutritious food source recommended by health magazines. It's also recommended to vegetarian people. Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), etc... every thing you need is contained within one jar!

No comments: