Monday, January 28, 2008

Neem Tree

Shri Krishna
Hindu people in India use neem leaves as an offering to worship Lord Krishna, the incarnation of God Vishnu.

Imbo leafImbo fruitNeem tree, also known as Imbo tree (Azadirachta indica), gives lots of benefit to human beings. In Tuban, people plant them as shade trees all along the road. They also boil the leaves and drink the water as an antiseptic for stomach as well as curing itchiness or any skin disease. Other sources also mention that the extract of Neem leaves has medicinal properties as anti cancer, anti bacteria, and anti intestinal infection.

Imbo tree, as shade trees all along the road Imbo tree, next to my house Imbo tree, in the middle of the corn field

Imbo barkImbo teaNeem trees are very abundant in Tuban, so it’s very easy to get the leaves. Once, I boiled the leaves and drank the water. The taste and the color of boiled neem are similar to Chinese bitter tea (kuding cha - 苦丁茶), one of my favorite tea. There is one big tree just next to my house in Tuban, so I can enjoy my bitter "Imbo" tea any time. ^_^

1 comment:

XENIA said...

happened to find your blog, very interesting and informative.
Happy Mouse Year!