Monday, August 6, 2007

Chinese Language: Screaming, Whining, or Too Expressive?

It might strongly be related to culture, the way of life, that Chinese language becomes so expressive. Simply one syllable from one Chinese character to describe one thing. But yes, each syllable has 1 out of 4 different tones. So, no wonder if you hear someone talking in Chinese, your first impression maybe:
  • Chinese people love to scream out loud
  • sometimes it sounds too whining
Yes, 4 different tones, especially the fourth tone (sharp accent), requiring more energy to pronounce it well. So, can you imagine when this language is used in a debate? sounds like screaming each other huh?(in China it does happens often). How about during a quarrel or scolding someone (mum to her kids!)?

Another thing, the combination of 4 different tones dramatises the situation like in a soap opera conversation. For example, when someone feeling hurt, they often express it in the following ways:
  1. aiya, aiya ... teng, hen teng (ouchh, ouchhh .... hurt, very hurt)
  2. aiya ... teng si wo le (ouchh ... hurt me till I die)

While in English, usually is enough with one expression "ouchh" . Therefore, to be so expressive using Chinese language, I must say, has been part of every Chinese, including Chinese descendant who was born in other country, no matter what language they speak, still you'll notice such a "screaming and whining" expression on their spoken language.

Now I can understand why, when my mum criticizing me, sounded very overwhelming. The way she talks is strongly affected by her mother tongue, the Chinese language. Now I am in China, almost anytime I heard a mother criticizing her naughty kids, it recalls my own memory, it is just the same as how my mum speaks. Maybe when I was kid I was not used to with it because I didn't grow up in such environment where every parents screaming out loud to their kid. At least, now I can understand why my parents were different from others in the way of criticizing me and my brother. Yes, the "Chinese Language Effect"... But, one thing I realise, is that any parent has the same purpose, to teach their children to be better and not to let their kids re-doing the same mistake.

No comments: