Monday, August 20, 2007

Three Great Bodhisattvas

An inspiration from Lama Temple, Beijing. Reminding me with a portrait on the wall in my dad's chanting room

Three Great Bodhisattvas
From left to right: Samantabhadra - Avalokitesvara - Manjushri

Samantabhadra – Pǔ Xián Pú Sà (普贤菩萨)
Boddisattva of compassion/great activity
Seated on: six-tusked white elephant
Attributes: lotus and Sutra

Avalokitesvara – Guān Yīn Pú Sà (观音菩萨)
Boddisattva of mercy
Seated on: dragon, or (often) lotus
Attributes: white vase and bamboo

Manjushri – Wén Shū Pú Sà (文殊菩萨)
Boddisattva of wisdom
Seated on: lion
Attributes: sword (symbol of the sharpness of wisdom to cut through illusion)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. You don't know me. I'm from Brazil. My name is Marina. I am thankful for the picture you posted, it's beautiful!!! Namastê.

marina.tao@hotmail.com